Friday, December 15, 2006

Wilburn Christison's Handwriting


Bright and early Wednesday, my friend Debra and I took off for an overnight trip to Salida. We spent the afternoon at the District Courts in Salida. We searched through a box crammed full of old Lake County court records. I had looked through a similar box the last time I was in Salida, but didn’t find anything of interest. However, in this box, after looking at several papers, I pulled out a bond filed February 12, 1872 by "W. Christison, Probate Judge.” On closer examination, I realized that the handwriting was Wilburn’s. There are three distinct signatures in the document and the handwriting matches Wilburn’s signature--all of the letter “t”s are crossed at the top. It was fascinating to see my great-great-grandfather’s handwriting for the first time.

I found another case where Wilburn was the attorney. But that was all I found in the entire box. But I’m sure glad I found what I did!

I tried posting a picture of the signature, but it isn't coming out clear enough to read. Sorry! Over the next week I’ll share more about my trip to Salida and my discoveries.

No comments: