Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Cache Creek or Cash Creek?


Today prospectors go to Cache Creek to pan for gold. But in the 1860's, the prospectors headed to the mining camp of Cash Creek. The creek was named Cache Creek after a couple of prospectors cached their supplies in the area, but the mining camp was established as "Cash Creek" when the post office opened in 1859. This makes Cash Creek one of the earliest mining camps in Colorado. When mining companies formed in the early 1860's, they listed their headquarters as Cash Creek.

Cash Creek boomed in 1860. Horace Tabor stopped for three weeks to wash gold at Cash Creek before moving up to California Gulch. It quickly became evident that the creek didn't carry enough water for large scale mining. In 1861, efforts began to build the Cash Creek Ditch to supply water for mining. By 1864, most of the individual mining claims had been bought up by several mining companies. The Gaff and Bailey Mining Company, managed by Joseph Hutchinson, was the largest company and soon bought all of the claims.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I always find historical tidbits like this interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Gayle Gresham said...

Thanks, Yvonne!

Heidiwriter said...

Nice blog facelift! Looks good. Interesting historical tidbits too.
Good going!
Heidi

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the history. I am researching a civil war veteran from Ohio that went to Colorado in 1859 to find gold. In October of 1861 he with many others enlisted at Cache Creek. I guess the mining wasn't going as well as they had hoped. His name was Shebna Creps, Co. B 2nd Col. Infantry.

Gayle Gresham said...

Historic connections - that's what I love! I didn't think about the miners enlisting in 1861. Something more to look into. I'm working on a new blog post--I panned for gold at Cache Creek yesterday! Hope to get the post on tonight. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Cheryl Savage said...

I'm wondering could be a small world first my husbands family is from this area. but my great grandma lived in the same area for a while I woulner if she is related to wilbur the last name is spelled the same and she was from the same country

Gayle Gresham said...

Cheryl, what was your great-grandmother's name?

Anonymous said...

Sorry took so long to post my great gramma name I am not sure of the spelling Katrina

Anonymous said...

Katrina

Jim Bailey said...

Thank you for sharing very interested in this information. My great grandfather was William Bailey (William Francis Baliey). Would be interested if you have further information on this operation

Unknown said...

Would be interested in any information you have on William F. Bailey my great grandfather or his partner James Gaff

Gayle Gresham said...

Jim Bailey, how interesting! Have you had any contact with the Hutchinson family? Or with the Hutchinson Homestead?I don't have much on William Bailey, but I can put together what I can find. The Hutchinson Homestead has a book that talks about the cattle venture Hutchinson, Bailey and Gaff began. There is a photo of William Bailey in the book. I'll see what else I have on Bailey and Gaff's mining at Cash Creek. E-mail me at gaylegresham@gmail.com