Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Genealogy and Writing Be-Attitudes for 2013

Fireworks on Pikes Peak January 1, 2013
On January 1, 2010, I wrote these "non-resolutions" for the type of genealogist I wanted to be. When I looked at them today, I realized they are exactly who I want to be in 2013 as a genealogist and writer.   
  • Be curious and see where the next computer click, phone call, e-mail, turn in the road will take me.
  • Be courageous and follow up on what I find. Make the phone call, set the date, make the drive, meet new people.
  • Be faithful and stay on track. Write the book, do the research, enter the data.
  • Be true to myself. Write the way I write, research the way I research, and don't compare myself to others. 
  • Be open to new opportunities, new people, new ideas. 
  • Be courteous to others and respect their stories. Remember that the pioneers I research and write about have family today who may not know the whole story and who have their own family stories.

4 comments:

Eunice Boeve said...

Good resolutions. Did you say you are resigning from your library job? Wish you always the best.

Unknown said...

Thank you for reminding me to not compare myself to others. That can be discouraging. I will remember God gave me a dream and talent to share. Love the Be-Attitudes.

Diana Ritchie said...

Wonderful list! I think the one I need the most is, "Be faithful and stay on track. Write the book, do the research, enter the data."!!

Gayle Gresham said...

Thank you, Eunie, Diana, and Carmen. I'm glad they are helpful to you, too!

Yes, Eunie. Tuesday will be my last night at the library. It's time to concentrate on writing the book. I will miss sharing and talking about books with the patrons.