Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pikes Peak and Mt. Princeton

I have a mountain. In my opinion, everyone should have a mountain. My mountain happens to be Pikes Peak. It's the first thing I look at in the morning. Is it clear? Is it cloudy? In the winter, it is covered in its resplendent winter coat, kissed with the rosy hue of sunrise.


My mountain is there, standing steadfast and strong whether I am having a good day or a bad day. It grounds me, centers me. Reminds me of God and his infinite wisdom and strength.

I like to believe my great-great-grandmother, Elizabeth Christison also had a mountain. For many of her central Colorado years, Mt. Princeton would have been the mountain in her view. Did she look at it first thing in the morning to see what the weather would be for the day?



Mt. Princeton is Steve Garufi's mountain and he has a website for pictures of it. He featured my photograph of Mt. Princeton in the header of Colorado Reflections - the mountain framed by low, hanging clouds and trees with new spring leaves - this week on his website, http://mtprinceton.org/  Be sure to visit the website and enjoy the beautiful pictures of Mt. Princeton.

Do you have a mountain? I'd love to hear about it.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Gayle, My mountain is also Mt. Princeton, since I first saw it as a child, when our family took their annual trip from Golden to Durango to see my grandmother. The first time I saw it I knew it was mine. And when I need to see it, all I have to do is go online! My second mountain is Engineer Mt. near Durango. Thansk for reminding me! Kathy

Phil Gibbs said...

My grandfather, Elmer Gibbs was born below Mt. Princeton in 1874. His mother, Emma Jane Van Orden Gibbs was postmistress of Alpine. Visiting this area is on my "Bucket List." Grandpa was born about 15 miles and at the same time as the Lake County Wars, although Elijah Gibbs was not related to my Gibbs branch.

Phil Gibbs